Saturday, May 27, 2006

Just another Thursday night...

Well, I did the weekly Thursday night game with my buddies. And contrary to popular belief, I actually help these guys learn how to play poker. I believe we have moved from the teaching part more into the,"its time to learn your own game" session of the class, I know enough about poker to get myself by, but I dont think I could teach these guys, because I havent mastered it yet. They still have to learn things like draw percentages, pot odds, all the types of draws, and the rest of those little intricacies of this game that take awhile for you to fully remember and understand.

We have one guy named Brian who is just way too damn stubborn to fix his game. He plays uber-tight, rarely if ever bluffs, and when he does, its for a min raise that he doesnt understand is going to get called 90% of the time. I tried to do my best Travis impression and started calling tightass, donkey, predictable. Anything I could think of to get him to think more strategically. But alas, he let the rest of us draw out on him, didnt catch too many good hands, and essentially lets himself lose all his money. I doubt I could get him to come out in any of my games, but I think he could learn alot more if he had more money on the line.

Larry has come along nicely. He still has alot to learn, but thats mostly because I just cant teach him the things he could learn at the bigger stakes games. He tells me he has to get some business things in order, and then he intends to attend some games with me. So, hopefully in a month, Larry will become another member of the 1/2 crew.

I took my sister with me last night. She is completely green when it comes to Poker. I tried to teach her a little on Partypoker before we left, but play money sucks so bad. She held her own for a long time, even going so far as to outlast Brian throughout the night. Brian rebought at one point because Rhonda took the rest of his money. She eventually busted out, and it was Larry and I heads up for about a half an hour.

Larry and I eventually ended up splitting the money on the table. I left with a little more than he did, but thats to be expected. Im still hoping we can get more players in, because I could use the money. I miss playing with the herd, I really need to learn some bankroll management.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home