Saturday, May 20, 2006

Another night at the poker school...

As you know from a previous post, I run a sort of poker school with a couple of friends of mine who have recently caught the poker bug. We do this on a Thursday night, and we only get between 4 or 5 people a night. I hope it picks up sooner, because even though Im teaching these guys the rules of poker, the strategy that I know of, and the things you should know at a poker table, I am doing this to make some money, thats why I consider it a class. I personally dont think Im much of poker connoisseur, but compared to these guys, im Daniel Negraneua.

So, considering this table is sort of weak, and the lack of players really does urk me, I brought along my brother. It went along as usual, we played 5 handed most of the night. I proceeded to bust everyone at the table, and eventually ended up with just me and my brother having all the chips at the table. My brother actually played well all night, he was much more tighter than the first time I watched him play a cash game, he had quite a bit of luck against stronger starting hands that he would outflop, and he generally just watched and learned when I threw out some of my limited poker knowledge. It was a goodnight had by all, and now that the man with the plan for this game has decided to try and bring in a few new heads, hopefully this will eventually become a weekly atm game for me if I need some extra cash for the weekend.

Dont get me wrong, I fully intend of helping these guys learn how to play. But playing against a bunch of other guys who watched it on ESPN, and essentially try to emulate something they saw the night before, well, thats really not going to teach you anything. I keep telling Larry, the business owner who wants to become a pro someday, that he needs to come and learn in the fire of some of the games Ive played in, I have thoroughly learned through these sort of backroom poker games, where pots upwards of five or six hundred dollars arent uncommon. Thats where the real action is. He tells me he wants to play in these games, but I think he wants to become a little more comfortable at a table with people(considering hes one of the online guys) before he comes to a "real" game with me.

Eventually I will get him out of his shell, and he will see that these little buddy games were playing right now just arent going to cut it if he wants to be the next Doyle Brunson.

4 Comments:

Blogger @OnAFoldDraw said...

Classic case of the blind leading the blind.

I personally LOVE the fact that you're teaching these guys how to play. Especially when you talk about playing with you before going to a "real" game. Reminds me of virgins that will get a whore so their other "first time" won't be so awkward.

Therefore, Jay, you're a whore.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ehonda said...

LOL ^^^^

Man, just bring them to the games Jay and stop faking...don't tell them horror stories, tell them your good stories, pack them in your truck, and lets go play at Trav's and Pops game.

3:45 PM  
Blogger SoveriegnOne said...

I dont tell them horror stories, I tell them its so much better winning a huge pot than a 15 dollar one. These guys need to learn the hard way, I did.

Oh, and thanx Trav, I didnt find that comment funny at all. Deffinetely stepped over the line on that one. But hey, not like you give a fuck, right?

8:18 PM  
Blogger SoveriegnOne said...

Ok, you apparently didnt get the joke. So yes, im a whore.

Damn man, lay off the fish comments, I thought I was part of the herd, and I was under the impression that meant you could actually play.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home