Thursday, April 27, 2006

Im a poker pro, right?

LOL, funny way to start off this story, huh?

I went to a local business today with the sole intention of teaching some newcomers to the game of poker how to play. Larry, David(Kevin), and Brian.

Now, let me start off by saying that Larry is what we might call a whale in the poker world, he owns the said business I was playing at, and the mans got money. And ofcourse, he ends up watching ESPN like the rest of us, and becomes instantly hooked. Now, the man cant go more than a day without thinking about poker. And his sole intention now is to learn the game, and to someday play with the big boys in Vegas, wheeling and dealing in Nevada being a real whale, instead of being a whale in a pond of goldfish in this state we call Maryland.

To me, being the expert pro that I am(insert sarcastic comment here). Im not happy when it starts off, simply because 4 handed poker just isnt a way to make money, I do intend on teaching Larry how to play this game, but I also intend to make the night profitable was well.

A rundown on the other three players goes like this.

Brian: Knows a little about poker, mostly the basics, and the strategies he sees on ESPN, thinks hes good because he plays with some buddies and they just arent cut out for the game as of yet. But, I have to give it to him, he played nice and tight like he should have, and ended up I believe only losing 10 bucks for the night. But, overall, Brian is deffinetely a newbie, and has alot to learn before he can hang in the games I attend(yeah, look at me knocking him when Im just as big a fish...lol)

David(Kevin): Hell, David just wasnt cut out for this game, I personally felt bad finding out his real name is David, after Ive been calling him Kevin for atleast 4 months of purchasing comics from the store, but hey, he said he never noticed me calling him Kevin until tonight, and lord knows where I got Kevin from in the first place. But, David was way over his head, but hey, he knew the basics, and he was very enthusiastic, he admitted he was mostly there for the fun, and to learn a little, but I doubt hes looking to poker as his next career move anytime soon...lol.

Larry: Larry has been bitten by the poker bug BIGTIME, he phoned me yesterday and told me he wanted to learn how to become a pro poker player. Now, to me, he is fully capable of it. Larry is an intellegent man, has complete enthusiasm for the game, and has enough money to learn this game very quickly, and not have it hurt him like the rest of us. But, Larry is a newcomer, just like the other guys, and had to learn in the line of fire tonight, and it burned him big time.

I myself actually got involved in the two biggest hands of the night with Larry. The first one, I ended up flopping top two pair, I moved all in because of the flush draw on the board. The limts were too low for me to remember, so lets just say the pot was a little over 40 dollars. So, I push all in, and Larry insta-calls me, I ask if he has a set, and he says no, I flip over my pocket Queens, and say two pair, he flips over A/5 of diamonds, and proceeds to suckout the diamond on the river for the nutflush, and Larry enjoys his big stack, leaving me with a little over 4 dollars, and the thoughts of a rebuy running through my mind.

Anyways, I end up coming back a bit, and get to a little over 20 dollars when the next hand comes up. I raise on the button to 4 dollars with 7/9 of spades, everyone calls. Flop comes down 8/10/5 rainbow, everyone checks around. tur brings a 6, giving me the straight. David raises 5, I push all in for somewhere around 20, Brian folds, Larry calls, David folds. I say straight, and Larry shows a pair of 4's., I snag the pot, Larry goes to shut the store down while the last three of us play a few more hands.

I end up walking away with over 85% of the money on the table, and hopefully with the knowledge that I taught the three of them something about poker. Larry is the one who really wants to learn, so I think Im going to have to spend a bit of time teaching him the subtleties of the game, take him to some of my home games, and let him earn his lumps in the school of hard knocks. I think Ill get him to comes to E's tomorrow night and let him learn with the tough poker players. Well see.

3 Comments:

Blogger Keenan Keeling said...

Stop saying that you have two pair when you have a pair in your hand and a pair on the board. While your 5-card hand is two pair, that's NOT two-pair. Anyone with a pair has two-pair!

Sorry...pet peeve.

9:36 AM  
Blogger SoveriegnOne said...

I understand what you saying when I said I "flopped" two pair, but technically I did. Am I supposed to explain it so everyone knows I had PP queens, and a pair of 9's flopped on the board?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Ehonda said...

How bout just sayin Queens Up....

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home