Thursday, June 26, 2008

My first 1K pot...

Had a mini-im convo with Trav the other day, and he asked me if I ever intended to blog again. I told him I might scare up the interest of writing about a big hand I was involved in about three week's ago. So here it is...

I live in Waldorf, in my home state of Maryland. About four year's ago now, I came across an interesting site called Md-Poker.com. Joined the site, convinced myself it was a good idea to give my money away to strangers. Attended my first poker game in Odenton, Md. Lost all my money going all in when I thought I had the nut straight of KA234.

Four year's ago. I look back on that hand and laugh at how horrible I was. Not that I play any better now, but atleast I know straight's dont continue past the A. Unless you have a wheel. My poker lingo and hand knowledge is atleast up to par. Atleast, that's what I convince myself of.

But the strangest part in all that time is the fact that I was never EVERRRRRRR! able to find a game within my town limit's. If you live in Maryland, then you have probably heard of Waldorf. I wouldnt call it a little town, and I dont think anyone has since the Redskins were consistent playoff contenders, and Reagan was in office. If we elected a mayor anytime soon, it wouldnt suprise me.

Enough history and geography lesson's, back to the story.

In all the time I have been donating money to stanger's funny money funds. I have never been able to find a local game. The only one I knew of for my whole poker hobby was the bi-monthly tournament at the Jaycee's hall. I would ask player's during the tourny if they knew of local games, that was when I would usually catch the cold shoulder. I had given up on trying to find a nice friendly game in Southern Maryland, that is. Until my boy Ricky Bobby called me one night to tell me he was in my neighborhood.

I got the call Friday night, Ricky was around my way, and figured I might want to know I had a poker game right under my nose. He had heard of the game from our mutual friend Keon. And after some backward's directions, he found out the game was literally a stones throw away from my residence. Needless to say, I was suprised. This game hasnt been going long, but it was interesting to know I didnt have to make a trek anymore if I wanted to enjoy poker during the week. Good game, good people, my only gripe is they play 11 handed, other than that. I enjoy this game.

But that the longwinded version of getting to the Tuesday night game I was at in good ol' Waldork. Big Chris, who deals the Friday night game I was introduced to, run's his own game on Tuesday nights. It just so happen's Ricky imed me on AIM, and said he was going to Keon's game. I had some money to burn, so asked if some seats were open. He informed me one or two might be available, and I should come on down.

After some procrastination on my part. I decided to text the local guy's to see if a game was going down my way. Indeed one was. At Big Chris'. I let Ricky know a game was going down this way. And he informed me Keons game was cancelled, so they wanted to swing up this way.

I got info two seats were open, with a few people on the way. Ricky said something or other about coming up, but I should go on ahead and get into the game without delay. Good thinking on Rickys' part.

I arrived at the game, to a nine handed table. Couple of fella's I knew, some I didnt. But mostly just strangers trying to give each other money, or take it, depending on how your luck or skill was running that night. One gentleman had a little under 600 in front, but most were hovering between 200-300, with one or two stacks flirting with the 400 mark.

I decided to sit with 200, and see how the game went. Not too bad for most of the night, down a little, up a little. Somewhere around 350 when the biggest hand of the night, and my poker career came around.

I was in the nine seat, with the BB. UTG player in seat one raises it to 10. Seat three call's. Seat four who has been nursing a short stack after multiple rebuys decided to raise it to 25. folds to seat seven who think's 25 isnt enough, and puts 35 on top of that for 60 to go. folds to me in the BB, and ofcourse, the hand you always want in this situation decides to come out of hiding.

After some himming and hawwing, with a little Hollywood mixed in, I make a nice neat little stack, and slide my tower into the middle. After the 60 is taken, I have exactly 292 behind.

Immediately seat seven goes into sniper mode and gives me the evil eye. Seat one who put in the original raise of 10 wants to let me know my AK is no good, and that he has the ballbuster hand(which is later explained to me as being A5). After more decalaration of how he wants to bust somebody's balls in this pot, he calls his stack off to the tune of somewhere around 195-210, I never did get the exact count.

Seat four, who at this point is short stacked, but also thinking his repop to 25 might have been a bad idea, reluctantly calls his stack as well.

This is where it gets intersting. Seat seven, who has not let me out of his sight since I decided to show him how pretty the colors in my stack looked, is trying to convince himself that I have AK, going so far as to tell me he knows I have AK, and that I really shouldnt have put my chips in the middle, but he isnt quite at the point of wanting to put his chips in, just incase he has the wrong read.

Seat one wont STFU, and continues to rant and rave that his hand is going to donkey someone, and that seat seven might as well call, because he knows he wants to lose. At this point, I decide being quiet will probably work against me, so I decide to ask seat seven if he has Aces or Kings. He tells me he has Kings, and I ask to see. He flashes his two black K's to me and the table, and continues to convince himself that I dont have him beat. Seat one decides to work to my advantage, and tells seat seven to call, he knows his Kings are good.

YAHTZEEE!

I inform seat one that only one person to a hand, and kindly ask him not to coach the players. Seat seven asks me if I have aces, and I ask him to fold. "I didnt think you had Kings" were my exact words. He finally lets the AK light flash in his head, and puts his chips in the middle.

BINGO!

I flip my aces, seven shows his Kings, but four never shows his hand, along with seat one.

Literally ten minutes of two dealers trying to sort out all the sidepots. We finally get around to dealing a community card or two.

Flop of 789, two diamonds. Don't make it easy or anything.

Turn 5 of club's. Wow, seriously? I see it two beautiful A's going down in flames.

River is a happy looking duece of spades.

Seat one kindly informs me that he wasnt able to donkey anyone. Seat four muck's his cards in frustration, and seat seven mumbles something about Kings and AK.

I push my winning Aces towards the dealer, and get a sea of chips in return.

All in all, my stack calculated out to exactly 984 dollars after a nice tip to the dealer. And I happily told myself I had finally popped my 1000 pot cherry. If I smoked, I might have stepped out and had a puff or two, but I dont, so I stayed in my seat, and enjoyed stacking up my chips, thanking God that my aces held.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home