Friday, January 04, 2008

2008? WTF?

Wow, 2008. Happy New Year everyone.

So its January 4, sue me.

Happy New Years anyways.

I know I havent posted in quite some time, around seven months to be exact. Alot of things have happened in that timeframe, so many things, I dont think I would know where to start.

But we have to start somewhere, so why not on the good things of 2007. It might seem like I dont have good words to speak of in 07, but I do. So lets begin.

Family life in 07 started out fairly good. Anyone that knows me, knows that I have eight people in my household. Those lovely eight consist of My wife, three insane children, and myself. Along with my Wifes Mother, Brother, and Sister. My brother and sister in law are mentally handicapped, which presents some challenges from time to time.

It wasnt really anything ever too strenuous as far as the challenges go. But when your dealing with two adults, who legally are adults, and are the ages of 21 and 23. You tend to think that these people will be upstanding, responsible citizens. That would be the case if said individuals were up on the wisdom that a 21 and 23 year old should have, but with Linda and Robert, we have two very young, very impressionable minds.

I found out many years ago that Robert and Linda have IQ's working somewhere between the 40's and 50's. I know there are many different IQ tests out these days, but the reports I read were state issused exams, so I have to take them for a very credible opinion.

What does this mean? Well, essentially it means I am dealing with adults that walk, talk, think, and reason like pre-teens. Literally.

Linda has an obsession with boys. And not good wholesome boys, no, she enjoys the ones who take advantage of her, and I end having to confront on some matters, and even some I have had to chase away. Its only happened three times this year. But each time has been full of drama. Drama that I thought I had left behind in high school.

I dont want to go into detail on any of the situations, but lets just say, it took some intervention from outside sources to get Linda back into the swing of being a working part of this family.

Robert, well, hes Robert. Hes quiet, calm, not easily rattled. But the boy couldnt handle two tasks if you were holding his hand. He gets going, but somewhere along the way. He falls. Ive come to grips with the fact that he might always be this way, and just when I thought I was in for some nights where I would be driving around Waldorf looking for him at 3 in the morning. An intervention happened with him as well, and he made it possible.

About six months ago, maybe late Spring, early Summer. I decided to pick Robert up from work, because he was having trouble bringng himself home. Usually Robert rides the local VanGo here in Waldorf, a ride that normally should only take him an hour. Lately though, Robert was coming home at 9,10, or 11 at night, when he would get off of work at 4,5,6. And I would constantly explain to him the severity of being out late in a town like Waldorf.

Its not the worst place to live in America, but we have enough of the wrong element in this city, that Robert would eventually find himself in a situation not to his liking.

I guess his intervention was one of those situations, but luckily, it was with people whom Robert considered friendly, and people who werent aware Robert had people looking out for him.

Sorry for the history, but it was needed, back to the story.

So, I picked Robert up from work, he told me he was getting off at 4, and lo and behold, here he is about to go home at 4. Good, lets go home, dont need you walking the streets buddy. Unfortunately, I had my children with me, so my truck cab was full. So I asked Robert to sit in the back.

As we were pulling away, I drove around three young idiots going towards Safeway, and I happened to hear them say something to Robert, but thought nothing of it. As we arrived home, Robert informed me that the young men we passed had been with Robert last night, and had taken his cellphone from him.

I questioned Robert as to why his "friends" would take something from him, to which he replied. Mike took it from me, and said he wouldnt give it back until I gave him the twenty dollars I owed him. I further questioned Robert on the matter of if he did in fact owe this idiot twenty dollars. After a few questions, I was convinced Robert did not owe this man any money, and that Robert needed to retrieve his property.

I went into the house, sat down, took my shoes off. And stared at Robert. Im not sure what got into me. Maybe its the fact that I havent had a serious confrontation since my early 20's. Maybe it was the fact that I knew Robert would be too scard to get back something that belonged to him from some local bullys. Whatever it was, I asked Robert to hand me my work boots. I looked at my wife, and told her,"if you get a call from Charles County, blame it on Robert, and come bail me out".

I walked out the door to Pam hysterically asking me what I was going to do. I never answered her. I simply got into my truck, peeled ass towards Safeway, and gleefully wondered who would swing first.

I guess the situation got the best of me, because I realized almost too late that I had a knife in my pocket, and 200 in cash on me. I removed all my items, placed them in my glovebox, and when I arrived at Safeway, I saw the three young punks sitting at the cafe tables outside the store. I tossed my keys under my seat, and got out of my truck.

As I approached the three men. I noticed one was a little "older" looking than the other two, and quickly realized the man was old enough to be an uncle, possibly my father, but that might be pushing the age gap.

As I approached the table. I noticed a cellphone sitting in front of one of the boys. I immediately grabbed it to see if it was Roberts. As I was inspecting it, the youngest looking boy said that it his cellphone, and I needed to give it back. I informed him that one of them had been accused of taking Roberts cellphone from him, and I wanted it back.

His response was typical. He didnt have Roberts cellphone, He and Robert were freinds, and he would never do something like that to Robert, "because they were cool".

Ok, no problem. Ill just keep your cellphone until you give me the one that Robert owned. And I began walking towards my truck.

At this point, the boy whose cellphone I confiscated, his name was Joe I came to find out. Told me that was his cellphone, and he had no idea who took Roberts, and that he needed it back. I explained to him that I was only giving Joe his phone back when Roberts was in my hand. He again said he would never take Roberts cellphone. I calmly asked him if he knew the number of the cellphone in my hand. He said yes, and I told him, "well, call me on this one when you want to give the other one back". And I began to walk towards my truck again.

At this point. One of the other morons, his name was Derek. Told me to "hold up", and that I "cant be rolling up on someone because they supposedly took his sons cell phone".

To which I replied "fuck you, he isnt my son. Derek came back with "well, your brothers cellphone".

My retort was..."hes not my fucking brother either, so fuck you, either you give it to me now, or Ill take Joe's, and yours". At this point, I was standing directly infront of Derek, and was pretty much waiting for him to swing.

Robert finally decided to get out of the truck, and informed me that neither Joe, nor Derek had taken his cellphone, it was actually the older looking man named Mike, who had been quiet the whole time.

I looked at Mike, asked him if Robert owed him twenty dollars, to which he replied no. I then asked him to give me Roberts cellphone, and I was only asking once. The next decision I make, was not going to be good for anyone standing around that table.

Robert spoke up again, this time, pointing to Mikes belt, where he had THREE cellphones clipped. Robert pointed to a cellphone, I dont know which one exactly.

I had enough, and told Mike to give me that cellphone, the one on his right hip. He handed me the cellphone, the wrong one ofcourse. And I told him, this isnt Roberts phone. His reply was "no, thats mine". I laughed, and said "would you like me to keep your phone too". He said no, and Robert told me his phone was one of the ones on Mikes left hip. I told Mike to hand me Roberts phone. He did, I inspected it, finding it was the correct phone I was looking for.

I threw Mikes phone at him, handed Joe his. And said thank you. And walked away.

Joe actually said thank you to me. That made the whole situation turn from drama to comedy for me. And I laughed.

Phew, that was a long story. I hope you read it all. And if you made it this far, youll be happy to know that Robert has really gotten himself together since then. He trusts my advice more, he no longer stays out longer than he needs to. And when I can allow him to hang out with some "friends". He comes home when I ask. So, all is well with the in-laws.

Pam and I have been doing good lately. I havent play very much poker in the past six months or so. And I miss it.

Alot of new characters out at the games these days. Some of the regular degenerates such Travis, Keenan, Noelle, E, Pops, and Anne. And some new faces like Billy, Blevins, Jeff, Katie, Rocco, Ricky, and Andy.

Needless to say, every game is an adventure. And all the people are wonderful, and frustrating at the same time. But its something I miss. Mostly because my game is all over the place, and instead of being a regular, I have become a stranger.

Heres to 2008 being a good year for my family, my life, my poker, and everything in between.

I think my next blog will be about two movies I watched as a teenager, and had certain opinions about. Only to find myself watching them again as an adult, husband, and father, and having slightly different views.

Stay tuned, y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home