Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bad beat central...ALL ABOARD!!!

I went with my Father to Steves 200+20 tournament this past Saturday, fully expecting to play well, and hopefully drawing some good luck from a four leaf clover rock that my Father showed me a few weeks ago. This story starts a few weeks ago though.

We were at E and Keenans 1/2 Monday night game. My Father had finally decided to attend a cash game with me instead of a tournament, and I fully expected him to play well, which he did for the most part, but not as well as I did that night.

Early in the night I come to notice he has a card protector on his cards, I cant tell you how I never noticed this before, but it was quite awhile before I caught on that he had this charm. I asked if I could see it, and I start scanning the little clear globule with a tiny four leaf clover inside of it. I tell him it doesnt look real( it doesnt), and that it was probably made out of paper, and spruced up to look like a real one. He disagreed, I handed it back to him, and left it at that.

Not two hands later, I was involved in a nice pot with two other players that got to over five hundred at its max. I ended up making the correct read, probably missed a few outs from the other two players in the hand, and took down the pot. First thing that pops into my mind? That Clover!

I asked my Dad if I could have it, he says no, but he will get me a new one. But Dad, you dont understand, I need that one! To which he says he will give it to me next time he sees me. (Side note: I made a nice profit that night, but I dont think I posted about it)

Anyhoo. Back to Steves tournament. Its early in the tournament, and I have already wrapped my hands around the clover once or twice during the game. And Lord did it help. I can honestly say that if I was involved in a hand where all my chips were at stake, maybe 7/10 times I was behind, and each and every time I hit a two/three outer to take down the hand.

The memorable ones were J/10 vs. Q/J, with a board of J/3/K

Player to the right of me bets out on the flop, a big bet, I decide he has a big ace, and I decide to call. Turn brings another J, guy bets out big again, I decide to stop messing around, and push it all in, only to hear an insta call. He flips over Q/J, and I see that I am way behind, luckily I have him covered, and start counting out chips. Pops see my J/10, and tells me its awesome the way I played the hand, but knows im beat, to which I reply, thanx Pops, J/10 (the beast) got me in trouble, to which he replies I have outs. Lo and Behold, Pops becomes a prophet, and a miracle 10 falls on the river. Whole table goes Whoah! Nice suckout on my part.

Earlier in the tournament saw me raise from the button with A/J, guy under the gun decides to finally push his A/K all in, everyone folds to me, I decide to call, maybe he has ace rag, no, he limped with A/K, oh well, start counting out chips. J comes on the flop, no King to give the guy a better hand, and instead I count his chips into my pile. The Bad Beat train was taking passengers all day long.

Late in the tournament, were down to five players. I raised with pocket 9's, another guy pushed all in, I decide to call, he flips over Aces, I start counting my chips.....no, wait, a nine just hit the turn, I take down the pot. Sickening.

After I took down that pot, I pretty much realized that I was going to win the tournament. So I went crazy and starting cheering for myself. It was over the top, and I fully intended to just celebrate my good fortune. If anyone reading this blog was at that game, please understand that I was not intending to rub it in on the guy with my bad beat, I was just celebrating my way, and I apologize if anyone found it to be a dickehead move on my part.

Not long after that, I knocked out the third place player when my Ace hit on the river against his paired 7 on the flop, and decided to chop it with the one person who was having luck against me that day, when he got it all in twice, I had the best hand both times, and he eventually improved his to stay alive, and I decided I didnt want to test my luck with him. And took down a nice 2,100.00 payday.

Bad beat central was in full effect that day. I can honestly say I had a Jamie Gold moment...lol.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home