Sunday, January 21, 2007

Yeah, I was definitely playing bad...

I used to go to the S.H.O.P. with the intent purposes of exercising my demons of bad play when it came to tournaments and cash games at Pops place.

This time I think I finally came to the conclusion that the only reason I ever lost at Pops house was a complete and total lack of good play.

My Father and I attended Pops second tourny of the year. A 90/10/ plus 20 under your stack head hunter tourny. You put twenty dollars under your stack, if you move all-in, the twenty goes with the stack, and if you lose, the player that busted you gets the 20. I was able to essentially make my buy-in back, I busted four people and was able to keep my 20, which cleared my hundred dollar buy in, and was able to chop 2/3 place with RobBob from the Md-Poker curcuit for a nice cash of 525.00. Christian(Ohm2k) took down first, because he had somewhere around 2/3 of the chips on the table.

So, I finally cashed in a tournament at Pops place, and I felt really good about my play through the whole tournament. I am a little dissapointed that I had so few chips when we got three handed. I was chip leader for some time during the final table, but a new guy I havent played with before named Puckhead (I never caught his real name), went all in when he was making a steal attempt. I decided to call with A/7, he flipped over K/2, and proceeded to hit a K on the flop, that put a dent in my stack, and I had to play close to the vest the rest of the way. I later got Puckhead when he attempted another steal with pocket fours, but I had pocket 8's, and put him on a ace rag, figuring my pair was good, and hoping for a coinflip.

My eights help up that time, but dejavu was in affect because of a hand from earlier in the tourny.

I had pocket 8's in early position when we still had around 20 players in the tournament. I raised, it folded around to Vince, who was table Captain for quite some time during the start of play. I had about 9000 chips to his 21000, somewhere around there.

Anyways, I raised, folded around to Vince, and he re-raises enough to put me all in. I go into the tank, and kept coming to the conclusion that Vince was either pushing with A/K ( which I had seen him do quite a few times before), or he had a small pocket pair(but that could have been nines for all I know).

In the end, I decide to call, and we flip our hands. He has pocket fours, and I have my eights. Vince spikes a four on the flop for a set, and Im resigned to the cash game. But, as fate would have it, I get runner runner for a straight, and I double up, and pretty much coast to the final table after that.

I cant remember anything else memorable from the tournament. I did jump into the cash game afterwards, and played for about five or six hours to make a grand total profit of zero dollars...lol. I think its the first time Ive ever played that long and cashed out with exactly what I bought in with. Oh well, first time for everything.

The year has started off good. Ive been making good decisions. Ive still made a few mistakes of chasing hands with very few outs, but Ive cut those down dramatically. And Ive been able to hang on during the cash games when my stack has gotten low, to either cash for a profit, or hang on and catch back up.

2007, so far, so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home