Saturday, September 02, 2006

Gotta love those limit games...

Went to E's limit games last night. Finally got some stability to the game with E limiting that action to a round of Stud Hi/Lo, Omaha Hi/Lo, and limit Hold Em for the night.

I had one big plan for the night, I intended to break all of my superstitions that I have about this game, and finally leave all of my poker gains and losses solely based of the quality of my play.

The thing is, usually I have a sort of routine for when I play any cash or tournament games. I usually wear the same clothes for games, because I have a "lucky" shirt, I go to the same exact ATM because I seem to win more than I lose when I use that particular ATM, I drive a certain way to the game, its a route thats a little out of my way, but I drive it nonetheless. I wear the same hats, I wear the same shoes, instead of more comfortable ones, hell, I even wear the same pants, because every time I wear shorts, I lose...lol. See where this is going? Im waayyyyyy too superstitious.

I went against my entire routine for the night. And it seemed like it was working. I brought a sheet telling me the top starting hands for Omaha Hi/Lo, but when I brought it out, everyone kind of giggled, so I put it away, and never glanced at the rest of the night.

Yeah, that was probably a good thing. I played any, and almost all hands I got during the night, and the majority of them hit, much to the ire of a few others at the table. I was turning, or rivering almost every other hand of the night, either stealing a better low, or a better high. Scooped a few pots, but mostly split alot all night long. Now that I look back on it, it was kind of pathetic.

I say this because I intended to learn this game. I do live by the old saying that I would rather be lucky than good, because you get payed more, but I too also want to learn the nuances of the game, so I can be a better all around player. One big problem with this, is that I would do better to have someone teach me the game, instead of reading it in a book. I learn alot better doing it on the job, but when your in the middle of a game, you cant really talk about strategy, or the little points of the game, while everyone is trying to make money, or have fun.

So, all that being said, I just went with what worked. And it payed off pretty well in the begining. I doubled up my buy in off and on during the night. Never really got above that, but having double your buy in during a limit game is a pretty good place to be. I wasnt complaining, I was on the good end of the getting while it was good. I did get into a few verbal tiffs with a couple of people at the table when I dumbfounded them with some horrible suckouts, I really need to learn to just take the frustration in stride,or be a little more diplomatic in what I say, because its embarrasing the next day when I think of that dumb crap that happens.

I just need to learn this game, so I dont have problems like that at games. Though, I do think I started a trend last night, everyone kind of departed from the fundamentals of poker, and just left their pink sea life up to fate, and lady luck. And it actually got fun towards the end, everyone loosened up, and just played to play. I eventually got tired, and busted out somewhere around six in the morning, an entire six hours after I intended to stop playing, thats another point of my game I need to work on, leaving when I want to, instead of staying, and staying, and staying.

3 Comments:

Blogger @OnAFoldDraw said...

HaHa, you got spammed.

Use comment moderation next time, buddy.

But anyway -
Just play for the scoop instead of playing for the chop (whehter it be only lo or only hi) and you'll do fine.

G'luck.
-T

12:46 AM  
Blogger SoveriegnOne said...

lol, looks like Ill have to turn on that damn moderator, thanx for the advice, on both ends.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Haga said...

I seriously believe that luck has alot to do with omaha, stud... I mean unless you were calling with hands that had no business being in before the flop, then if you suck out, that's the name of the game.. Then of course, I don't play omaha anyways, so I digress...

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home