Saturday, July 15, 2006

Is this something bad?...

My children love poker, absolutely love it.

My wife bought our kids some oversized bicycle cards awhile back, so I could play poker with my girls, because every time I would go out to play poker, they would ask to play with me, and I would have to tell them that they couldnt. So, she bought them some, and at first, I was reluctant to open them and let the kids play. I still had a part of me that said poker was bad, and its the kind of game you dont want your kids growing up and attempting to play.

So what was I to do? I love playing with my kids, and this seemed like a good way to teach them math,numbers, facecards,and competition. After much consideration, I decided to teach my children how to play poker.

Now, we dont play in the normal sense of the game, we have no chips, and no betting occurs. We simply deal out the cards, flip em over, and run the board. Whomever wins, wins.

The first time we played, my second daughter, in the course of 10 hands, had 2 straights, 3 sets, and one hand of quad aces. Needless to say, I think her luck factor is high. Ive gotten my youngest child into it, hes only 1, but talks well for his age. I love watching them when I tell them they won, throwing their hands into the air, screaming, I win! I win!. My oldest daughter loves pointing out the face cards. She would say, look Daddy, I have a Queen, or a Jack, or a King. Shes picking up the suits too, shes learned what a club and spade are, after she already knew hearts and diamonds from school. My second one is a copycat, when my oldest says she has a certain suit, like clubs, my second one will blurt out that she has a club too, even though she doesnt have one in her hand. Children say the darndest things.

I have personally come to terms that teaching them poker is fun, and someday they might, just might, make something out of what they learn. But right now, its just another fun way to spend time with Daddy. I think sometimes Im the one having the most fun, especially when they give me a bad beat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home