Wednesday, June 14, 2006

OK, the Aquarium isnt so bad after all....

Last night I followed E and River Ed to Steves house to play in a 40+0 buy in tourny, with a cash game to follow. I solely went with the intention to play the tourny to get my game back on track, get comfortable again, play some ABC poker, and to get myself off this slump ive been having. Even if I didnt win, I just wanted to play better than I have been during these past couple of months.

We start out in the tourny at a table with Keenan, and Travis, Bert, with a few other guys mixed in whom I have never had the privelege of playing with. So I immediately know where my caution people are at the table, and Im going to have to try and get some info on these new guys.

It doesnt take long for me to build up my stack some. I raised with good starting hands that didnt flop, but the bets were low enough for me to call and either turn or river top pair with a good kicker. I remember one specific hand where Bert had a K with a good kicker, I flopped a set of 3's, no draws were out on the board that I was worried about, and slowplayed Bert, letting him be aggresive, and getting a good amount of chips off of him. Another hand involved Steve at the final table where he went all in with K/10 suited, I call with A/8o, Steve flops a 10, I turn the A, and knock him out of the tourny.

The tournament eventually got down to 5 of us. I was probably third in chips out of the 5, with the one guy Slavi being chip leader. One person gets knocked out, and its down to 4 now. Im now either 2nd of 3rd in chips give or take a hand. Im just waiting for someone to make a mistake and either get crippled or taken down. A new guy Joe, ends up getting mixed up with the chip leader, who proceeds to suck out the nut flush on the river to make it 3. Im last in chips at this point, and know I need to make a move to have a chance of finishing better than third in this thing.

About 5 hands into the final 3, I raise the small blind with Q/4 suited to 1500, with the blinds at 300/600. BB calls me, with the flop coming Q/9/3 rainbow. I check it to the BB/chip leader, who proceeds to bet 2000, I reraise all in, he smooth calls me with his set of 9's, and bam, im out of the tourny. Oh well, good showing for me, definetely played with comfort, and confidence, which is something I really needed at this point. Keenan ending up taking the tournament down after he offered Slavi a chop, and with the Slavi having Keenan around 3 to 1 in chips, he decided to play it out. They played heads up good tactical poker for about 40 minutes, and in the span of two hands Keenan took down first place. He then proceeded to go outside to talk on the phone and smoke, and fall off Steves deck while smacking against Steves house and scrapping up his leg. Hes alive and well, and realising he can play this game of poker. Good show sir.

I decided to stick around since it was a little early and take me freshly won third place money and jump into the cash game. Needless to say this was going to be one of those seatbelt games with River Ed and Alex maning the one and ten seats. Very scary indeed, I immediately decided to walk softly and carry my big stick when it was dealt to me. I went up and down for awhile, getting down to 35 at one point, and up to 460 early in the evening as well. I was around 200 or so when I get mixed up with River Ed, I believe he was UTG, he decided to raise it to 15, I reraised it to 40, it folds back to him, and he immediately goes all in for around 400 dollars, or somewhere around that figure. I think about it for about 20 seconds, and decide to call him with my Kings, hoping he doesnt have A/K or something like that. He flips over K/Q off, I turn a set to seal the deal, and take down the hand. That was the most memorable hand of the night for myself.

Another good hand of the night was between Travis and River Ed. Ed is UTG and decides to straddle for 20 dollars(which is allowed in Steves game). It folds around to Trav, in the small blind I believe. Im sure Trav will post the actual hand account later in my comments section. But here goes. Trav raises to 40 I believe, Ed pushes the rest of his stack, somewhere around 200 or so, Trav smooth calls and Ed immediately flips over pocket Aces. Trav looks distraught that Ed wakes up with Aces on a 20 dollar stradle. Flop comes 3/4/Q, or something along those lines, turn brings another 3 pairing the board, and the river was something that I cant remember. Travis proceeds to flip over his pocket 4's to show his 4 fulls, and sends River Ed packing. That had to have been the best hand of the night.

All in all, I played my kind of game last night. I stuck to ABC poker for the most part per E's advice, mixed it up correctly when I felt the time was right, and got some good flops to show a 205 dollar profit for the night. We actually ended up playing until 3 in the morning, with me having to be at work at 7, or 8 at the latest. I slept through my alarm clock this morning, or it didnt go off, because my wife didnt wake me up. Either way, I ended up at work around 9:30, but didnt miss anything. Rest of the day is going to be interesting though, cuz im tired as shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home